http://movies.msn.com/movies/dvd;NEW ON DVD;|new on dvdhttp://movies.msn.com/movies/dvd/coming;COMING SOON ON DVD;|Coming Soonhttp://movies.msn.com/movies/dvd/scarymovies;SCARIEST MOVIES;|Scariest Movies on DVD
Two Nashville men plan to sue ABC and the creators of "The
Bachelor" and "The
Bachelorette," accusing the shows of racial bias because they have never
featured a person of color in the titular positions in 23 combined seasons.
Plaintiffs Nathaniel Claybrooks and Christopher Johnson are seeking
class-action status for their lawsuit, which they intend to file Wednesday. It
will name American Broadcast Companies, as well as Warner Horizon Television,
Inc., and executive producer Mike Fleiss, among other defendants.
ABC referred an inquiry to Warner Bros., which declined to comment. A
representative for Fleiss did not immediately respond to a request for
In an interview with EW last year, Fleiss said
non-white people simply "don't come forward" to take part in the show as often
as white people.
"I think Ashley is 1/16th Cherokee Indian, but I cannot confirm," he said of
"Bachelorette" Ashley Hebert. "But that is my suspicion! We really tried, but
sometimes we feel guilty of tokenism. Oh, we have to wedge
African-American chicks in there! We always want to cast for ethnic
diversity, it's just that for whatever reason, they don't come
forward. I wish they would."
The lawsuit comes as Portland-based sportscaster Lamar Hurd is campaigning to
be the first African-American "Bachelor." He released an online video last month
in which he and several friends and associates talk about the qualities that
would make him a good candidate.
Story continues after the audition video:
The lawsuit also lands just days after TBS' "Conan" noted the lack of
African-Americans on the show. Comedian Deon Cole, one of the show's writers,
appeared in a skit in which he imagined himself as the first black "Bachelor."
Talk about comic timing.